Memo From NLESD
From: NLESD, Student Services Division
Date: April 6, 2020
Re: Launch of NL Guidance Services
During these unprecedented circumstances, our priority remains the health and well-being of our students. The Newfoundland and Labrador English School District (NLESD) will continue to provide services and resources that assist students in managing their mental health while in-school instruction and attendance is suspended.
We want students to know that help is still close by and they are not alone.
Therefore, as of Tuesday, April 7, the District will be launching NL Guidance Services in an effort to ensure that all students have access to a qualified School Counsellor during this time.
We have established a volunteer team of counsellors from across the district who will:
- Provide confidential, individual counselling services via telephone during school hours (9:00 am - 3:00pm NST Monday to Friday); and
- Make referrals to community agencies as necessary and appropriate.
This is not intended to replace other services a student may currently be availing of, such as ongoing counselling services with their school-based counsellor or outside services provided by a private mental health professional or medical personnel. Inquiries that are academic in nature must be directed to the student’s school. We ask that students who are currently receiving services from their School Counsellor to contact them directly through email.
How to Access NLESD Guidance Services :
- Visit bit.ly/NLGuidance and complete the secure School Counsellor Referral form
- Call the toll-free hotline at 1-833-772-0007
This information is also available from the District’s website at www.nlesd.ca . A member of our team will make every effort to contact students on the same business day that their requests are received.
If the situation is an emergency, and you or someone else is at risk of imminent harm, please call 911 or contact the Mental Health Crisis Line which is available 24/7 at 1-888-737-4668.
Additional Support Services
- Kids Help Phone - text 686868 or call 1-800-668-6868 or visit www.kidshelpphone.ca
- CHANNAL Peer Support: The Warm Line 1-855-753-2560 (9 am – 12 midnight)
- Mental Health & Addictions Systems Navigator 1-877-999-7589 (9 am – 5 pm weekdays)
- Health Line : 811 24 hours; 7 days/week
- Bridge the gapp Website www.bridgethegapp.ca
- Crisis Text Line: Text ‘Talk’ to 686868 (24 hours; 7 days/week)